With an unmistakable look and charming disposition, the Pug is a well-known and very popular dog worldwide.
According to the American Kennel Club, the Pug, sometimes called the Pug Dog, can be traced back around 2,000 years ago. At that time, the emperors of ancient China formed a liking to flat-faced toy dogs. Thus, the Pug was developed for the emperor, his family and the imperial court.
Around the 1500s, the Dutch traders returned to Europe with specimens of the breed, which in turn, began the Pug’s adventure to the rest of the world.
Looks & Care
The Pug has unforgettable, and adorable, features. This small dog has a round head, and famous flat face. His coat is fine, smooth, soft and short. The Pug can come in black or fawn.
When it comes to caring for your Pug, there are a few factors to keep in mind. The Pug should remain on high-quality dog food and fed an appropriate amount. These dogs are prone to obesity and love to eat! Fortunately, the Pug’s glossy hair requires minimal maintenance, but do be on the lookout for shedding. Weekly brushing should keep the shedding at bay. While Pugs are big snugglers, they do love play time. Adequate exercise is vital for the Pug’s overall health.
Like all flat-faced breeds, Pugs sometimes experience breathing problems and do poorly in sunny, hot, or humid weather.
Bred to be a constant companion to its owner, the Pug is eager to please. They are known for their stable temperament, outgoing personality and charming attitude. Because of their love to please, Pugs are often easily trainable.
- Popular legend states that the Pug became the mascot of Holland’s royal House of Orange when the dog saved the life of the Prince of Orange by barking to warn the prince of an attack on his camp by Spanish troops.
- The Pug is one of the oldest dog breeds and has been around since 400 B.C.
- The wife of Napoleon used her Pug to carry secret messages to her husband while she was imprisoned.
- A pack of Pugs is called a Grumble.
- Celebrities who have owned Pugs include Ted Danson, Gerard Butler, Paris Hilton, and more.